Unanswered: Adult Content Filter

I want to create a message board designed for a church. Their concern was if people were to type in offensive words; they didn't want to display that particular post.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to run through a particular block of text, searching if an offensive word was present and then omitting the post?

Obviousily the front end would be a web app, but the back end dbase for this is M$ SQL Server 2000.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated!

U need a dictionary in your database, and a fulltext search engine to deal with the posted text, to find if the words in the dictionary appear in the text, and also the count of them. Then to decide if the text is clean.

I would look to perl, ruby, or python for this solution. Perl handles strings very well and would be a natural for this task. You could do this on your web server and reject the post or give the author a chance to correct the indiscretion if there was a problem.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Paul,
    The webserver is running Win2K and IIS 5.0. Do you think some ASP code would work? What would be the most effiecient place for it to process? Client, Webserver or DBase side?

Thanks for the response.

First of, I am NOT a WEB developer so I may not be the best person to answer this question.

The way I see this problem is you need to take a list of words and pass them over some text to see if you get a match. This does not sound like something a DB could do efficiently. I am 100% posative I could setup a DB solution in less than a day but I suspect that using Perl and Regulare Expresions would be a better answer. If you haven't used Perl or RegEx. both excel at string manipulation.

As for running the code on the client or web server, I personaly would choose the web server. It seems like the deployment and maintinance would be simplified.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Thanks for the info. I will post with the solution I come up with. Then maybe some has some ideas on whether they can come up with something better!

Thanks again.