Thread: Merging Fields

Question Unanswered: Merging Fields

not sure if this can be doen but i am hoping so. I am using Microsoft Access 2002 (XP) and i would liek to merge 3 fields into one.

I am modifying a current table so that we can use it for another program. in its original state, the address is split into 5 fields:address1, address2, city, state, and zip

however the new program requires it to be 3 fields: Address1, Address2, and Address3. where Address2 is the City State and Zip

so can i merge the city, state and zip fields into one field and rename it to Address2???

Yes, you can concatened field by using the & operator. You may want to add ", " or any other delimiters you want:

Code:
    SELECT fldState & ", " & fldCountry AS NewName
    FROM tblSomeTable
    You can also use the same in an UPDATE query or into and INSERT

JefB - hope it helps

Originally posted by JefB
    Yes, you can concatened field by using the & operator. You may want to add ", " or any other delimiters you want:

Code:
    SELECT fldState & ", " & fldCountry AS NewName
    FROM tblSomeTable
    You can also use the same in an UPDATE query or into and INSERT

Well You got me started on the right track i think but i am not quite there yet.

I want to merge the data from 3 fields (City, State and Zip) into another field(Address3)

so based on what you told me i came up with the following query, which did nothing.

UPDATE Vendor
    SET Address3 = City & ", " & State & " " & Zip

my thought was that would go through and update Address 3 with "City, State Zip" in all records. it did nothing though.

sorry if this is a dumb question but i am kinda new to this.

what am i doing wrong?

Hum... strange, I've just try it and it work well.

So try that, create a new Query, don't use any assistant, go right to the SQL Text and paste that:

Code:
    UPDATE Vendor SET Vendor.Address3 = City & ", " & State & " " & Zip;
    Save your query, name it as you awnt, then EXIT, don't run it, now, after exiting, doubleclick on it, Access will ask you "Are you sure you want to Update your table", then "It will update X lines, do you want to continue", answer yes, and go see your table. If it don't work... , let us know, there is surely something amissing!

JefB - hope it helps

Make sure that all the fields are of same data type else need to use UPDATE Vendor SET Vendor.Address3 = cstr(City) & ", " & cstr(State) & " " & cstr(Zip);