Thumbs down Unanswered: HELP! Compacting error deleted my db!!

ANYBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

I was trying to automate the weekly download of a lot of data which I need to do a lot of transforms on and compact it when it was done. I just tested the CompactDatabase command and my db dissappeared. I made a major flub and didn't realize that I gave someone the wrong backup tape last week and my backup is gone. It was unbelievably stupid of me but I had just finished a ton of important stuff that wasn't backed up.

When I wrote the CompactDatabase statemtent I copied over the destination path intending to change the file name, but I forgot to change it before I ran it. When I ran the code with the compactdatabase statement once and it said something like "mdb file isn't in expected format". When I then looked in my folder to open the mdb file it was gone! I searched all over for it but I can't find it. Is it possible to bring this thing back?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Tim

Which version of windows are you running ?

still got Windows 98

Check your TEMP folder for a .tmp file of a size close to that of your database.
    Change its extension to .mdb and see what happens.

If no success, try:
    Start-Run
    decompile "C:\PathToMSAccess\msaccess.exe" "C:\PathToDatabase\YourDb.mdb"

Hope this helps,
    Dan

Before you do anything, try the following link:

link

This is a link to recovery software for deleted files. Try this first - looking in the location where you mdb was last located. Download it to a floppy and extract to the floppy - you do not want to add anything to your hard drive until you run this utility - anything that is added can overwrite part of the mdb that is missing (if it is recoverable).

Good luck.

Angry

Thanks for the link.

I purchased the 24 license for the unerase utility. I tried not to manipulate my hard drive this morning but it was unavoidable. The utility said files were in "poor" condition and when I recovered them they were a fraction of the size and Access couldn't open them.

Looks like I've got a long weekend ahead of me.

Tim