Question Unanswered: Problems with validation rules after converting from Access 2000 to 97

Hi

I have created a database in Access 2000. Unfortunately I had to convert it to 97 format using the convert database function in Access and I now have the following problem.

When I am puncing new data in a table or a form the database is still warning me if I enter data that is incorrect in the field as expected. However when I come to the end of the record and try to go to next, I get up my own warning messages (Validation text) for any field that I have left blank. This happens even though data is not required in these fields (Allow Zero Length is yes).

Any suggestions????

Just a tip on the fly: Try to create a new "fresh" mdb in Access97 and import the table(s) into it (and use the new one) and see if that helps.

Originally posted by rotmons
    Just a tip on the fly: Try to create a new "fresh" mdb in Access97 and import the table(s) into it (and use the new one) and see if that helps.
    Hi

I tried your suggestion and exported the tables separately as access tables, but unfortunately I get up the error "Unrecognised database formate" when I try to open the new database. I can exporte the tables as Excel or text files, but then I have to redo the validation rules anyway

Any other idea??

hmm... sounds like either the Access 2000 mdb was not properly converted to Access 97 format or that there is some form of database corruption in your converted mdb.

I haven't tried myself to convert a 2000 mdb into 97 format so I don't know if there are any problems with doing that, but I suggest you try and convert the 2000 mdb to 97 again and re-try.

Have you checked the record-level "Validation Rule" property (as opposed to the "Validation Rule" for individual fields)? It sounds like it's that validation rule that triggers since you get it when leaving the record (you find the record-level validation rule in the properties for the table itself).

Good luck

Problem solved

Hi

I eventually solved the problem by adding "is null" as part of all the validation rules for all fields were empty fields can be accepted, I tried first with "" but that did not work. This was not required in Access 2000.

Cheers