Unanswered: how to freelance access programming

HELP WITH ANY ADVICE ON BECOMING A FREE-LANCE ACCESS PROGRAMMER

LIKE MANY OF YOU, I HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMING WITH ACCESS/VBA AND FEEL IT IS TIME TO GROW MY FREE-LANCE WINGS. I KNOW WHAT CLIENTS PAY FOR OUR SERVICE, AND WHAT THE CONSULTING COMPANY PAYS US, ... AND THAT LARGE GAP IN THE MIDDLE HAS FINALLY INSPIRED ME TO CONSIDER A CHANGE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN ADVISE ME ON THE LOGISTICS OF SUCH A LIFESTYLE, PLEASE DO. YOU MAY ALSO EMAIL ME DIRECT MikeLynn@comcast.net PERHAPS YOU KNOW OF A TYPE OF BUSINESS, WEBSITE, BOOK, FRIEND WHO CAN OFFER IDEAS ON HOW THEY MADE THE TRANSITION. I AM VERY OPEN TO ALL IDEAS.

SINCERELY,
    MICHAEL LYNN
    mikelynn@comcast.net

tried to email you but got errors on the email addy you posted

Is this spam or a serious question?
    Last edited by Bunce; 09-03-02 at 08:50.
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.

Only I can tell you life for freelance programmer isn't easy!

Thruout the entire world, programmers get a fraction of what their employer charge from their clients. The fact is that, large companies get project easily because of their sheer infrastructure. In large companies, you'll get huge projects (involving 50 to 100 people working in a single project) where you can learn a lot!

When you'll work as freelancer, you won't get that opportunity. You've to try hard for projects. Moreover, you'll get only small projects.

Freelance Access programming won't be of much use, because all major databases in the world runs on Oracle, SQL Server or similar databases! None of them use Access!

I don't know how much experience you have, but I believe you should work in some large companies first before opting for your own firm.

I may be wrong, but this is what I feel.

Thanks.

Hi,

Here is a link which can be usefull for Michael:

Basics Of Consulting ChatLog

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I have day time job, but looking for some moonlighting. I can tell that it is very difficult, especially now due to job market situation.