Unhappy Unanswered: Dates from Forms

I have a form on which I have a field that has nothing in the format. In the default value I have "=Date()" and in the input mask, I have 00/00/0000.... I don't really think that matters though. I want to limit the users to valid dates. I'm using the form as a front end to an append query.
    In the query, on the field used to insert the date (the date in the table is set up as date/time and short format) I use the following syntax:

theDate: [Forms]![Monthly Billing Update]![NEWDATE]

This works if there isn't anything on the format on the textbox control called "NEWDATE". However, if I change the format to short date, then the query returns nothing for the Date field using the same above text.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Dates from Forms

What does your table that stores the data have it marked as. Do you have an input mask on the table or the form?

The field in the table is date/time and the format is set to short date. I do not have an input mask defined on the table. Yes, I do have an input mask on the form, but only because the field is defined as text and I want it to at least look like a date. When I format the form control to short date, it does not read into my append query at all. For what it helps, when I use the value from the form in a formula calculating days, it seems to read it ok. Only when I'm inserting it into the date field itself.

Try this:

Add the input mask in your table. Then delete the field from your form and then add it.

See if that works!!

Originally posted by jamesmm
    The field in the table is date/time and the format is set to short date. I do not have an input mask defined on the table. Yes, I do have an input mask on the form, but only because the field is defined as text and I want it to at least look like a date. When I format the form control to short date, it does not read into my append query at all. For what it helps, when I use the value from the form in a formula calculating days, it seems to read it ok. Only when I'm inserting it into the date field itself.