Thread: DB2 Date

Thumbs up Unanswered: DB2 Date

Hello friends,
    I am working with db2 udb v7.1 with fixpack5. I am fiding a problem when the clients connect to the database and while retrieving the date fields.My database date format is dd/mm/yyyy and country code is set to 785.
    when the users access from the client(i.e. Powerbuilder) they are getting the date format as mm/dd/yyyy. this is been killing me for the last fortnight. So can u please guide me what i can do to get the database and clients to come on streamline.

thnx
    kajol

DB2 Date - You can use the CHAR function

Hello Kajol,

I suppose, PowerBuilder is making some conversion (ODBC Driver???). You can be sure that you get the same format when you use the CHAR() function and give the format as parameter.

Example:
    SELECT CHAR(date_column, ISO) FROM... -> JJJJ-MM-DD
    SELECT CHAR(date_column, USA) FROM... -> MM/DD/JJJJ
    SELECT CHAR(date_column, EUR) FROM... -> DD.MM.JJJJ

HTH,

Rodney
    Rodney Krick

Smile

Hi Kajol,

I had a similar problem in one of our projects where we used MSSQL. The client wanted the date to be entered into the database in whatever format the user entered from his local machine. But b'coz the server had a specific format, the date used be added to the table in the server format. So we had to change the field type in the table to Varchar.
    This may help you in solving your problem. All the best.

Regards,
    Vishrant

just a brief comment to point out that databases do not store dates in any particular format

microsoft sql/server, for instance, stores dates as very large integers

so getting dates into and out of databases is just a matter of choosing the right syntax

if users want to enter dates in their format of choice, that should be perfectly okay, because the database will convert the date no matter what format it's in

as for output, the database has to convert the date no matter what format you want it displayed in

now, every database has a default display format, so if users are getting dates returned from the database in a format they don't like, you just have to figure out the right syntax

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/