Arrow Unanswered: [Delphi & paradox] Client-Server app

Hey all,

I've recently started working on an existing application which uses a paradox database to store measuments. The program could only be used on the computer where the database is located.

I've now been asked to see if it would be possible to use the existing paradox database as a remote database server, so that client-applications can be used as well.

My question therefore is, is that possible? I've tried to find such info on the internet, but I had no such luck. I know paradox wasn't meant to be used as such, and was meant only as a local database. However, I would like to know if this is possible by using ODBC or alike. If so, I would appreciate any help or info you could give me on how to accomplisch this.

BTW: I'm using Delphi 5 and would prefer to use ADO and not BDE (Borland Database Engine)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: [Delphi & paradox] Client-Server app

Originally posted by Morpheus747
    Hey all,

I've recently started working on an existing application which uses a paradox database to store measuments. The program could only be used on the computer where the database is located.

I've now been asked to see if it would be possible to use the existing paradox database as a remote database server, so that client-applications can be used as well.

My question therefore is, is that possible? I've tried to find such info on the internet, but I had no such luck. I know paradox wasn't meant to be used as such, and was meant only as a local database. However, I would like to know if this is possible by using ODBC or alike. If so, I would appreciate any help or info you could give me on how to accomplisch this.

BTW: I'm using Delphi 5 and would prefer to use ADO and not BDE (Borland Database Engine)

Thanks
    There is a simple way.
    - Put the database on a server.
    - Create on every client a network mapping to the server all with the same letter
    - Set on every client in the BDE the correct path to the server for the corresponding database-alias
    - Point on every client in the BDE the 'net dir' parameter to the server (Configuration/Drivers/Native/Paradox)
    - Eventually set the 'share' parameter to TRUE if not using BDE applications (Configuration/System/Init)

Good luck

Didier

Exclamation Re: [Delphi & paradox] Client-Server app

Originally posted by Morpheus747
    Hey all,

Thanks
    Unless you stick it on a shared drive, you are gonna have to do some very fancy stuff. Just remember that by sticking it on a shared drive the client machine does all the processing, the only thing the server does is act as a file server

Nathano