Unanswered: How can I get a user name that's locked a table?

I have an NT-networked Access database where I frequently have to make changes to the data tables. However, often the table is locked and I'll receive the following typical message:

"Couldn't lock 'tablename'; currently in use by 'Admin' on machine 'machinename'."

The application doesn't utilize MS Access security, so every Access user name = Admin. The machine name is cryptic so I can't identify the user intuitively from that and I don't want to keep calling the company's network support area to identify the user logged onto a particular machine.

Does anybody have code or a function where I can get the network user ID if I have the machine name? I'm sure there's a way to manipulate the Windows API to get this data, I just haven't figured out how. I'm searching, but can't find it.

Thanks,

Rick

Try the GetUserName API.

Re: From Dev

Originally posted by mrabrams
    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm

Michael
    Thanks, but unfortunately this function returns the network user name of the local machine where the function is called. In other words, my user name is returned when I run it.

I need to retrieve the user name of the network machine which has opened up the .MDB file and is currently locking the table.

If there is a function that can return a network user name when supplying a machine name as an argument, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Rick

mskb

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q176670

scroll down and download the jetutils.exe

Michael

If you still need to find the user programmatically instead of using the jetutils.exe - see the following example:

example