Unanswered: When to not use Access any more

Hi all.

I'm about to start working on a web site that will include some dynamic elements such as product catalog etc. The size of the database will not be to big, probably a couple of mb's. My question is, how many users can a MS Access database handle?. Considering this will be a web site for a commercial company with probably a couple of hundred hits a day, I'm a bit conserned that MS Access can't handle this. Should I move on to mySQL or MS Sql server?

I strongly advise not to use MS Access as a db for any website big or small, I speak from professional experience. I recommend SQL Server. However...Oracle and others will do just as well, it's all about personal preference.

Yes, SQL Server and other enterprise databases are expensive but if you are going to do it, then do it right.

My opinion. Others may disagree. Good Luck!!!!
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Thanks mate, that was my conclusion as well. I just wanted to have it confirmed.

Cheers Stian

Access can EASILY handle small websites.

Assuming the design of the database is solid, network and web-server hardware are sufficient, and the necessary locking techniques are used in your server side scripting language (such as ASP), then there is no need to spend the extra dollars on a database server.

It also depends on the TYPES of transactions your database will be handling. Access can handle many more READ transactions than it can WRITES, so if your site is predominantly for accessing and displaying data as opposed to adding or updating data then Access will perform reasonably well.

How much traffic are you expecting? All depends on your situation....

There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.