Unanswered: DB2 switching between instances

I am wanting to migrate from a server running NT4 to one running Win2K Advanced Server.

This in effect means that I will have to install and configure DB2 from scratch. Where the issue lies is that I have some relatively large volumes of data in a shareable storage subsystem and would need target volumes of similar size if I were to move the database with the export import method.

Within SQL and Oracle there is the capability to switch a database from one instance to another. Does this capability exist within DB2. i.e. mount the existing volumes so that the databases can be seen by the new instance.

If so how do I go about doing so? Is it a utility etc.

I feel your pain.

As far as my experiences in this matter go, it IS possible to force a new instance to recognize an existing database, however it is not a trivial task and requires major Catalog and DBM configuration changes to even get the db recognized.

If at all possible, and I know space is an issue, use the import/export or db2move utilities. You will save yourself a bunch of time and headaches.

WP.
    William P.O'Sullivan

IBM Certified Solutions Expert - DB2 UDB V7.1 Database Administration for Unix, Linux, Windows and OS/2
    OS/390, AIX, Linux and Windows2000

Re: DB2 switching between instances

I'd suggest taking a backup of the database and logs, then delete the existing database to free up space and then restoring the backup to the new instance.

WPSullivan,

On Unix, if you need to change the instance for a database, I thought the file/dir permissions will be a problem.

On windows, when you say, create db samp1 on C: , db2 creates the database files in a directory with the instance name ie C:\DB2 or C:\DB2CTLSV . The same is true on Unix also .

Please can you share your thoughts on how to switch database from one instance to another using catalog/uncatalog.

I have not considered what it is when the data is on a shared disk array ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by phillipsc
    I am wanting to migrate from a server running NT4 to one running Win2K Advanced Server.

This in effect means that I will have to install and configure DB2 from scratch. Where the issue lies is that I have some relatively large volumes of data in a shareable storage subsystem and would need target volumes of similar size if I were to move the database with the export import method.

Within SQL and Oracle there is the capability to switch a database from one instance to another. Does this capability exist within DB2. i.e. mount the existing volumes so that the databases can be seen by the new instance.

If so how do I go about doing so? Is it a utility etc.
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 09-06-02 at 07:27.