Thread: dbexport

Exclamation Unanswered: dbexport

hi all,

I have this client running IDS 7.31 on mpraz. I've been tryingn to transfer their live database to their backup server running IDS 9.21 on mpraz.

I've tried using the onload and onunload utilities, which does not work due to the different versions.

So I tried dbexport from the IDS 7 machine to a 25gig tape... I am continually promted for more tapes.

Has anybody experienced something similar to this. I will do ANYTHING for the solution!!!!! (jokes)

Thanks,

Mike

Re: dbexport

Originally posted by mikem
    hi all,

I have this client running IDS 7.31 on mpraz. I've been tryingn to transfer their live database to their backup server running IDS 9.21 on mpraz.

I've tried using the onload and onunload utilities, which does not work due to the different versions.

So I tried dbexport from the IDS 7 machine to a 25gig tape... I am continually promted for more tapes.

Has anybody experienced something similar to this. I will do ANYTHING for the solution!!!!! (jokes)

Thanks,

Mike
    Have you specified the tapesize (-s tapesize) when you perform
    the dbexport command ?

If both machines are the same hardware and the same O/S, I would recommend to to a backup of the 7.31 server, install the 7.31 software on the backup server, restore your backup and than
    migrate to 9.21 (i.e. switching your $INFORMIXDIR and re-starting
    the databaseserver).

Another solution to move the data might be the HighPerformanceLoder.

HTH.

Best regards

Eric
    --
    IT-Consulting Herber
    www.herber-consulting.de

Re: dbexport

A year ago i've been through the same nigthmare (40 GB database export) There's an issue just not eberybody knows

When executing dbexport, it CAN NOT generate an export BIGGER THAN 2 GB, thats why a tape change ir required.

What I did is export to a huge filesystem, when dbexport asks for a tape change, i rename the export, compress it, an just after that, continue the export.
    When importing, the same crap method is required

Hope it helps