Thread: data pruning

Unanswered: data pruning

hello,
    can anyone plz give information regarding tools on data pruning or any links.thanx in adv

Hello everyone,

I have a table which is gettting filled with data very quickly. Because of this the table accessing i.e., select statement is slow. Please advise me what to do?

Hi,
    If there are many inserts you won't want many indexes - maybe just one.
    Also, do you have a date field or some way of removing 'old' data.

If there is already an index on the table, remove the old data and rebuild the index.

You should do a couple of tests on the selects before and after this 'pruning'.
    Let me know how it goes,
    Breen.

hi,
    we already created index. date field also there but this table linked to some more tables. so it is taking much time for selecting. is there any other alternative for this.

Cool

If you select query takes long time, do explain plan and see if there are any full table scans. If so and you already have index on those columns find out why they are not used.

The other thing to look is the table and index statistics. They have to be up to date for the Query Optimizer to make the right execution plan decisions. The script when and how to analyze the index and table statictics could be found Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA