Unanswered: Converting MS Works database to access or excel

How do I convert an .wdb (which I believe is an MS Works database) to an access database (or excel--perferbally). If it can be done do I need MS Works (becasue I no long have that program)

*.wks is MS Works.
    No idea what .wdb is. Maybe Web Database?
    rws

Re: Converting MS Works database to access or excel

Originally posted by kayra
    How do I convert an .wdb (which I believe is an MS Works database) to an access database (or excel--perferbally). If it can be done do I need MS Works (becasue I no long have that program)
    Wdb is Works Data base.

You DO need the program to convert it however you can convert your tables into .CSV format and import them into excel or into access.

How big is the database? How many tables?

Is it confidential information?

I am having the same problem. Tried to install MS Works into the present computer. No, I don't have "share.exe". Fix that and try again.
    Well, that is my problem. I do have MS Works in CD-Rom form. Will send you one if you wish. At no cost, of course, as I want to help. You can reach me at <kuasakdi@loxinfo.co.th>

convert works database to Access

Save Works database as dBase IV (or III) .dbf
    In Access in new database, import data from .dbf file
    If whole of item is not shown in Works it will be truncated to that size in Access, so see that Works fields are big enough (drag).

Otherwise you can save tables as .csv (comma separated values), which again Access can import.

Exclamation Microsoft kb

see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q197894

everything you want to know, right out of the horses mouth!

Re: Microsoft kb

Originally posted by Haggis
    see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q197894

everything you want to know, right out of the horses mouth!
    Of course! I knew the info was in there somewhere but didn't know where to start. amnesia rooles!! A useful link. Thanks.

Free MS-Works database file converter

Hi - I had the same problem with an old version of MS Works (version 4?) and had to extract the contents myself. I've written a (free) program that lets you extract the WDB file to a CSV or XLS file for Excel:

http://www.codealchemists.com/worksdatabaseconverter/

Hope that helps,

Duncan.

Help please, trying to save MS Works MDB files into another database program

I have been using Microsoft Works mdb files since 1990 and they are now unstable in Windows 8. If I try to open the files in Excel or Access, they just become part of a spreadsheet that is unusable for me. I need to open them as form, a two page report for each client of mine. Can someone give me a hand please? If I can't do this, I'll have to rewrite over 1000 separate files. If I have to rewrite each one individually because I can't open Works files in another program then what database program would be the best or cheapest? I currently am considering Open Office or Libre Office or even a Mac program.