Unanswered: ORA-01587: error during controlfile backup file copy

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem backing up my controlfile. This is a new install of the database using Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

The error message I get is :-

ORA-01587: error during controlfile backup file copy
    ORA-27091: skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
    OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed.
    O/S-Error: (OS 258) The wait operation timed out.

If anyone can help me to resolve this problem and prevent it from happening again I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Mark Darwin

Re: ORA-01587: error during controlfile backup file copy

hi.
    What operation are you doing when you receive the error?

Can you feed us with some additional information, so we can help you more usefully witout to guess which is you problem ?

Regards.
    Franco Ceotto
    SIPTI srl
    OnSite Services
    9i OCP DBA, Performance Engineer

Hi Franco,

Thanks for your reply.

I normally backup controlfiles of my Oracle 8i databases without any problems, using the normal commands of:-

i) alter database backup controlfile to '<filename>';
    ii) alter database backup controlfile to trace;

The command alter database backup controlfile to trace; works fine with no error messages. However, on one of my servers, the command alter database backup controlfile to '<filename>'; is the one that gives the error message shown in the previous posting.

I have tried to backup the controlfile to various locations (being very careful with syntax). The drives and directories have the correct permissions, the drives are not compressed and they have lots of free space.

What is strange is the controlfile is actually backed up and deposited in the specified directory, but I can't be sure of it's integrity whilst these error messages persist.

Searching the Oracle site results in information that tells me the error message is issued in response to an error condition in Windows (i.e. it is an operating system dependant message), however, I can't find any other information than that.

Many thanks,

Mark

Re: ORA-01587: error during controlfile backup file copy

If you checked the errors,
    you can find this fact about the message you received:

Error: ORA-27091
    Text: skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
    Cause: read/write/readv/writev system call returned error,

And so there are no way out: you are writing on a troubled disk. It is definitely an OS issue.
    Recheck all the possible condition, including the space available with respect to the actual dimention of controlfile .... and so on
    Did you used the "reuse" clause of the command -it's stupid I know but ...-?

This document in oracle's metalink "131111.1" deals about your error, take a look at that. After that, look to your oracle release (which x there is after 8.1.7.x).

Perhaps you are hitting a bug or a problem in Win, like this one (NT4):
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q236/9/64.ASP
    a 180Gb files opened issue with a file system formatted at a block size different from 512 bytes.

best regards.
    Franco Ceotto
    SIPTI srl
    OnSite Services

Franco,

Just to let you know the situation was resolved by rebuilding the controlfiles using the trace file containing the create controlfile statement.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It is very comforting to know that there are people out there who are willing to help complete strangers.

Cheers

Mark Darwin

boat dbas ....

The problems are very interesting because ....
    today are your's but tomorrow who knows ?

Only building a trusted network of collegues/friends one can hope to find solutions to future problems in someone else experience.
    Your last feedback is woth paying the little help all we have given to you.

Another experience of mine: in a crisis you shold never be alone !
    Keep allways with you a companion sysadm/dba only to talk with him about what you are going to do.

Greetings from italy.

Originally posted by mark.darwin
    Franco,

Just to let you know the situation was resolved by rebuilding the controlfiles using the trace file containing the create controlfile statement.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It is very comforting to know that there are people out there who are willing to help complete strangers.

Cheers

Mark Darwin
    Franco Ceotto
    SIPTI srl
    OnSite Services