Unanswered: one-to-many relationship question

I'm new using MS Access, and I'm having a little trouble with the relationship between two tables. It seems simple to me - let's see if I can make it sound simple to you. I have two tables, Family and Person. The primary key of Family is FamilyNumber, and FamilyNumber is also a field in Person. The relationship between Person and Family is Many-to-one. When I look at the Family table, there is a little "+" next to each record, and if I click on it, all the Person records with that FamilyNumber pop up. Great !! Love it !! Here's the problem: when I look at the Person table, there is no little "+" next to each record. Why isn't there ?? I want to be able to click on a Person record and have the corresponding Family record with the matching FamilyNumber pop up. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ??

Susan

As per the One to Many relationship between tables, one Person can belong only to One Family, while one family can have many persons associated with it.

The Plus sign allows you to view the multiple data associated with that family's data. While in the reverse, since there is only one family, you have to use the Foreign key to get your values.

Re: one-to-many relationship question

Susan,

Open the person table. Select "insert" menu, "subdatasheet". Select the family table from the list. Now select the child and parent fields from each table (ie: familynumber). The subdata sheet (+) will now appear. This is great when updating or adding records directly to the table!

Hope this helps.

Tim

Originally posted by kelby
    I'm new using MS Access, and I'm having a little trouble with the relationship between two tables. It seems simple to me - let's see if I can make it sound simple to you. I have two tables, Family and Person. The primary key of Family is FamilyNumber, and FamilyNumber is also a field in Person. The relationship between Person and Family is Many-to-one. When I look at the Family table, there is a little "+" next to each record, and if I click on it, all the Person records with that FamilyNumber pop up. Great !! Love it !! Here's the problem: when I look at the Person table, there is no little "+" next to each record. Why isn't there ?? I want to be able to click on a Person record and have the corresponding Family record with the matching FamilyNumber pop up. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ??

Susan