Lightbulb Unanswered: Textfile© database

Heya guyz
    I can't get my hands on MS access ( was given filemaker Pro this morning, what a waste of space that is. ) , so i'm thinking of using pure ASP to create a database in a text file.
    I will have seperate text files for tables, use my own set syntax for fields and records, and using cheaty style ASP to create relations, has anyone had any experience of creating a DB like this?
    any major problems? Gems of wisdom?
    Text stream magic?
    Is it do-able with just a simple DB and ASP...?

To be honest... sounds like a lot of hard work creating what's already there in ADO and an Access database But if you cannot gets your hands on Access then I don't see what else you can do.

Good luck!!
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

Firstly, why reinvent the wheel? Secondly, why not try something like MySQL (which is free) and MyODBC from ASP if you're going to try something like that?

Whilst writing a database from scratch is a pretty cool hack, you're likely to run into all sorts of problems. Support, extensibility and the fact it sounds incredibly proprietary being the three that spring to mind.

Mull.

Red face

Listen mate,
    It's actually quite a bloody useful thing - using a txt file , or a csv as they call it...
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtec...ced/faq2.shtml
    Theres a link with plenty of explanation...

I hope you re - consider the sheer coolness of this. ( and its free and completely supported by my host ) - I appreciate that I could use mySQL - if I had a unix host but I don't..

I know. ASP has some great methods for handling text streams and files. I'm just saying, you're probably making a lot of hard work for yourself. It sounds like you've already worked out your answer anyway And MySQL does run under Win32, so no need for a *NIX host.