Unanswered: configuring servers after a move

My company is moving to another location in a couple of months. This will require me to reconfigure all of our servers for the new network addresses. We are currently using ASE 11.9.2, Rep Server 12, and Direct Connect 12 on Sun Solaris.
    Has anyone gone through this process before for any of the above products? I'm trying to get a handle on the changes that will be required. Obviously the interfaces files will have to be modified. I need to dertermine what else will need to change.
    Also regarding modifying the interfaces files, I'm trying to decide whether to manually modify them or to drop and recreate the servers using the srvbuild utility.

Any input/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Re: configuring servers after a move

Originally posted by patrickb
    My company is moving to another location in a couple of months. This will require me to reconfigure all of our servers for the new network addresses. We are currently using ASE 11.9.2, Rep Server 12, and Direct Connect 12 on Sun Solaris.
    Has anyone gone through this process before for any of the above products?
    Several times. This is simple on Sybase but needs to be thought out, planned and tested carefully. If done properly, it is completely invisible to the clients.
    I'm trying to get a handle on the changes that will be required. Obviously the interfaces files will have to be modified. I need to dertermine what else will need to change.
    1 interfaces, of course. On every unix system that hosts a Sybase server or a client system. This can be eased by all such systems mapping to a single interfaces file (unlessr they are separated for security/admin reasons).
    2 Client systems locating the new network address.
    2.1 The sql.ini file (equivalent to interfaces on every client system) has the unix server name (not a hardcoded IP address). Eg:

[SYB_SVR_NAME]
    DSQUERY=unix_svr_name, 8010

Easy. When your reset the server after the move, DNS/DHCP on the network will resolve the new IP address.
    2.2 The sql.ini file on every client system has a hardcoded IP address. Eg:

[SYB_SVR_NAME]
    DSQUERY=123.123.123.123, 8010

You have a problem and you have to update the sql.ini file on every client system during the move. This can be scripted. Do change it to the (2.1) form while you are at it.
    Also regarding modifying the interfaces files, I'm trying to decide whether to manually modify them or to drop and recreate the servers using the srvbuild utility.
    Manually (ie. dsedit, etc not vi) is simple. There is absolutely no need to rebuild/reinstall the Sybase servers.
    Derek Asirvadem
    Senior Sybase DBA/Information Architect derekATsoftwaregemsDOTcomDOTau
    Anything worth doing is worth doing Right The First Time
    Spend your money on standards-compliant development or spend 10 times more fixing it