Unanswered: Simple CREATE TABLE syntax wobble

Hi,

I'm trying to create a table via some godforsaken web interface-type thing that churns out this...stuff, and...

Basically, I'm used to SQLserver, not mySQL and could somebody please tell me what the syntax error is that it keeps bleating on about in the below statement?

CREATE TABLE forum_posts (id INT (4) UNSIGNED not null AUTO_INCREMENT, post_date DATETIME (12) DEFAULT 'NOW()' not null , user_id INT (4) not null , message TEXT (16) not null , PRIMARY KEY (id), INDEX (id), UNIQUE (id))

Much appreciated.

Syntax Error

A DEFAULT value has to be a constant, it can not be a function or an expression.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

Aha. I didn't know that, thanks. So how do I make it insert the current date as a default value? Can I not do that?

Default Date Values

Originally posted by Spudhead
    Aha. I didn't know that, thanks. So how do I make it insert the current date as a default value? Can I not do that?
    Don't think that this is possible. MySQL doesn't have stored procedures as such so it's up to the client application to do this.

Read further:

For date and time types other than TIMESTAMP, the default is the appropriate zero value for the type. For the first TIMESTAMP column in a table, the default value is the current date and time. See section 6.2.2 Date and Time Types.

So change your post_date from DATETIME to TIMESTAMP.