Smile Unanswered: Ms Access <-> SQL

Thinking of splitting up my Access mdb-file to a front end / back end system. Back End on a SQL server.

Is access any good at this?

Are the reports tricky to make compatible?
    Do the Queries need to be reprogrammed manually?

Any differncies between versions A2K and AXP?

This ADP-format any good?

I hear a lot of stuff about reports being locked while someone else have them open etc.

If Access does not work well with an SQL...What are the alternatives? Have someone copy my mdb in JAVA or C++?

Comments Please!

Best Regards

Jo'
    Last edited by Johnny Dove; 09-12-02 at 06:27.

I personaly have had no problems with access interfacing with sql. I started in sql and needed to build a frunt end though, i did not use the app spliter wizard or the upgrade wizard. I dont think that it will be a big problem. I have neaver had a report locked either, it may be an issue of how it was set up, I dont know. All I know is that the therie of access and sql playing nice should work, expecialy seeing how they are both MS applications. Give it a try on a test basis. See what happens, thats the only real thing that you can do.
    Jim

Have a look at Tools | Database Utilities | Upsizing Wizard to help you create the SQL Server database. I have used it without any trouble.

An Access project .adp is the Microsoft preferred way to go with a serious database such as SQL Server or Oracle. You would use ADO rather than DAO to access the data although DAO will work if you attach the SQL Server tables.
    Roger Hampson
    XI - ecs (UK) Ltd

Thanks for yout replies! Sounds promising. Did you u use Access 2000 or the 2002 file format? Which one would you advise?

Is there any way to hide all references to access. To make it look like a standalone app?

Thanks again,

Jo'