Unanswered: Merge replication issue - The subscription to publication is invalid

I am trying to configure a merge replication of publication with 151 table-articles over 128 kbps line via proxy (Win XP, WinProxy), which is used for connection to internet as well.
    The whole snapshot runs well, all the data are pumped to the subscriber and all dri, trg etc. scripts are executed without problem, but instead of the message "No data needed to be merged" comes out this error message:

Last Command: {call sp_MSgetreplicainfo(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}

The subscription to publication 'Katalog' is invalid.
    (Source: Merge Replication Provider (Agent); Error number: -2147201019)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General network error. Check your network documentation.
    (Source: FANTOM (Data source); Error number: 11)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I try to replicate the small Northwind database, everything works fine, no errors. When I try to replicate only a few tables from my big database, everything works fine.

Thank you very much for any ideas.

Possible solution

The problem is probably in WinProxy. When comunicating without Proxy everything goes OK.

Re: Merge replication issue - The subscription to publication is invalid

Hi,

I had seen your psting and asking your help.

How do I use the FTP option in Merge Replication

I am using Merge Replication on SqlServer 2000 with SP2 and MDAC2.7 loaded on my system.
    My database version is 8.00.534 on Windows2000 Advancedserver.

Both Publisher and Subscriber are running with same versions.

I created a publication and I created a pull subscription using internet.
    I want the subscriber machine to access the Publisher
    machine via ftp and get the Snapshot and do
    Synchronization.

I had setup the following parameters at the Publisher side
    for the publication.

1.Generate snapshots in the following location as

\\myservername\D$\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\REPLDATA\ftp which is UNC shared with full access.

2.Checked - Subscribers can access this folder using FTP

ftpservername -myservername
    port-21

Login-Anonymous, no password

3.At subscriber side I had setup SnapshotLocation property as
    Download the folder using File Transfer Protocol - checked

I get the following errors at Synchronization time
    After configuring subscriber for merge replication i am getting staus as succeeded at the subscriber.

when performing data modifications I am getting following errors during synchronisation time.

Errors

Category:NULL
    Source: Merge Replication Provider
    Number: -2147201001
    Message: The schema script '' could not be propagated to the subscriber.

Category:AGENT
    Source: SRVH
    Number: 0
    Message: The process could not connect to FTP site 'HERITAGEAMERICA' using port 21.

Category:OS
    Source:
    Number: 12007

The schema script '' could not be propagated to the subscriber. The step failed.

Microsoft conformed this is a bug and that details are
    Question number is Q318592.
    BUG #: 356652 (SHILOH_BUGS) BUG #: 356652 (SHILOH_BUGS)

Microsoft confirmed that this is a bug when we use different versions check with the Question in microsoft site in fixes.

I am getting same error for same versions also.

Can anyone help me on how to use FTP for accessing
    Snapshots?

Thanks

Hello,

I have not any experience with using FTP for merge replication over internet, we are using VPN connection to the server on port 1433.
    But as far as I understood, you do not get the error message when transferring a snapshot but at the moment, when the distributor needs to propagate data changes between publisher and subscriber.
    I suppose it is important when do you get the error message: whether on the very beginning of applying the snapshot or at the end.
    Also would be useful to check, whether the FTP connection is reliable (proxies, switches etc.).

Caruso

Re: Merge replication issue - The subscription to publication is invalid

Hi

May be you can help me wit a minor problem in Merge replication. I am trying to perform merge replication on two SQL Server 2000 databases on Windows Nt 4.0 platform using TCP/IP and FTp. Have set everything in Publication and Subscriber for FTp and the subscriber can connect to publisher.

I am getting the followiing error message afetr running replmerg.exe withh all required parameters for FTP.

Microsoft SQL Server Merge Agent 8.00.194
    Copyright (c) 2000 Microsoft Corporation

Connecting to Subscriber 'RAJ'
    Connecting to Distributor 'VTPL'
    Initializing
    Connecting to Publisher 'VTPL'
    Retrieving publication information
    Retrieving subscription information
    Snapshot files will be downloaded via ftp
    Connecting to ftp site 'VTPL'
    The subscription has been marked for reinitialization. Reinitialization will occur the next time you synchronize this subscription.
    The schema script '\\VTPL\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ReplData\ftp\VTPL_Caryaire_F2\2003010 7120306\RightMain_1.sch' could not be propagated to the subscriber.
    Category:NULL
    Source: Merge Replication Provider
    Number: -2147201001
    Message: The schema script '\\VTPL\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ReplData\ftp\VTPL_Caryaire_F2\2003010 7120306\RightMain_1.sch' could not be propagated to the subscriber.
    Category:AGENT
    Source: VTPL
    Number: 0
    Message: The process could not retrieve file 'VTPL_Caryaire_F2\20030107120306\RightMain_1.sch' from the FTP site 'VTPL'.
    Category:OS
    Source:
    Number: 12003
    200 PORT command successful.
    550 VTPL_Caryaire_F2\20030107120306\RightMain_1.sch: The system cannot find the path specified.
    550 VTPL_Caryaire_F2\20030107120306\RightMain_1.sch: The system cannot find the path specified.

The process finished. Use CTRL+C to close this window.

I am desparately in need of a solution. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks and regards,
    Anamika

Cool

Hi,

Anamika, first thing I would like you to do is check the verison of SQL server 2000. Merge Replication module has some problems. It have been fixed in the SQL server SP3. It is essential to apply this pack on SQL server.

Secondly you need to check ftp settings. your ftp service or root directory of ftp is not configured properly. Due to this you are getting "The process could not retrieve file 'VTPL_Caryaire_F2\20030107120306\RightMain_1.sch' from the FTP site 'VTPL'. "VTPL_Caryaire_F2" parent folder should be root of ftp site.
    Details are available in windows or in IIS about ftp configuration.