Unanswered: how can I hide some data from some users?

Hi everyone. I am a new starter in access 2000. I have a CRM database and it is going to be used in a multiuser environment. In the contacts form, there is the "calls" subform where each call made to particular person is beeing recorded. I don't want everyone to see these "calls" subforms and related data. How can I manage this security issue?

The only way that I know of is to set up user level security (basicaly an end user has his/her own login that is associated with rights to different objects) Once the security is set up then alow the corresponding group access to the objects that it needs.
    Hope that helps
    Regards Jim

Originally posted by JDionne
    The only way that I know of is to set up user level security (basicaly an end user has his/her own login that is associated with rights to different objects) Once the security is set up then alow the corresponding group access to the objects that it needs.
    Hope that helps
    Regards Jim
    Thanks for your reply. But as far as I understood from User Level Security help texts, users can be arranged by their permission to modify or design the data or tables. But there are no spesific permission levels for users to hide some data from them? Am I wrong?

you can give users read only rights, and you can deny users access to objects all to gether. If a user has no rights to a subform it will not show up. I beleve that if you have warnings turned off it will not msg them about it eather. The help for user level security sucks, you will just have to play with it to get it right. make a copy of the db and play with it. when you walk threw the wizard you will see how robust the security can be.
    Regards
    Jim

Yes, you are completely right. The User Level Security help is really difficult to understand. I will try my best. Hope it will work. Thanks

Hope it works out, let me know if you need any help
    Regards Jim

You could also create a custom query/form/report for each user then give them access to only that query using user group security. If you have mulitiple forms/reports/queries, try making a custom switchboard for each user and only giving them access to theirs.

i.e. tblCalls has records for John and Jane. I make two queries on that has Jane as the criteria and one of John. Then in the user group security I give Jane access to her query and John access to his.

Originally posted by rennie
    Thanks for your reply. But as far as I understood from User Level Security help texts, users can be arranged by their permission to modify or design the data or tables. But there are no spesific permission levels for users to hide some data from them? Am I wrong?

hi Rennie, JDionne,

i have the same problem in my database. i've already set up different users security level. and if i use Tools-->Security-->User and Group Permission-->Permissions. it shows all the permissions the user have explicitly on the specific object. how do i revoke some of the permissions on specific object from specific user? should i check those permissions? but it doesnt work.

anybody has any suggestions?

Thanks

Anwar