Unanswered: Could someone explain what I am getting into?

Hi,

I run a small graphic design company secializing in web graphics and flash animation. I've been contacted by someone who is starting a company that plans to manage human resources, employee info, etc for large companies. Their DB platform will be Oracle. He said he needs someone to design custom interfaces for each client, and that they would include actionscript. These interfaces would be used to control data in an Oracle database.

I guess my question is what should I expect to need to know if I am to create such an interface? I use flash pretty often, though I typically don't write my own actionscript. So I am unsure how I would program an interface to execute commands in an Oracle database. perhaps it's less complicated than I think, but something tells me it's plenty complicated.

I work closely with a couple of good programmers, though neither of them use actionscript .

Just looking for some sound advice. Feel free to assume I know nothing!

Cheers,
    jen

Cool

Take look at this info Flash and DB intergration . It will give an idea what to expect.

In most cases when you want to connect to a DB from flash interface you need to go through a "middleware" layer (eg: jsp,asp,php) and not directly to a DB. This is where your ODBC (or JDBC) connection comes into play.

Oracle supports both JDBC and ODBC drivers and it is proven to be rock solid. You have to learn some SQL to construct your queries - the rest of it is just coding.

Raise your hand if you need help.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA

thanks Clio!!! I will look at the article.

and thanks again!
    jen