Thread: Beginner Oracle

Unanswered: Beginner Oracle

My first Oracle PL/SQL class and my first install. Have used Oracle 8i in past but had a DBA to do the setup. I installed 9i without a DB. Now I don't know how to set up connection strings, login to SQLplus (no Scott/Tiger) and create my first DB. Can anyone point me to an online Oracle DBA for dummies tutorial?
    thanks

Hi,
    you need to create a parameter file (init.ora).

ex:
    db_name = orcl
    instance_name = orcl
    control_files = ("/u01/oracle/oradata/orcl/contro01.ctl", "/u01/oracle/oradata/orcl/control02.ctl")
    db_block_buffers = 1000
    log_buffer = 163840
    rollback_segments = (r01, r02, r03, r04)
    global_names = false

background_dump_dest = /u01/oracle/admin/orcl/bdump
    core_dump_dest = /u01/oracle/admin/orcl/cdump
    user_dump_dest = /u01/oracle/admin/orcl/udump

db_block_size = 8192
    os_authent_prefix = ""
    compatible = "8.1.5"

issue:
    #sqlplus /nolog
    SQL> startup pfile='/u01/oracle/admin/orcl/pfile/init.ora'
    SQL> create database ...

Create a database.
    Syntax:

CREATE DATABASE database_name options

options can be any combination of the following:

DATAFILE filespec AUTOEXTEND OFF
    DATAFILE filespec AUTOEXTEND ON [NEXT int K | M] [MAXSIZE int K | M]
    LOGFILE [GROUP int] filespec
    MAXDATAFILES int
    MAXLOGFILES int
    MAXLOGMEMBERS int
    MAXLOGHISTORY int
    MAXINSTANCES int
    CONTROLFILE REUSE
    CHARACTER SET charset
    If more than one DATAFILE or LOGFILE is to be specified - several 'filespecs' can be included in one clause separated with commas e.g. DATAFILE filespec1, filespec2, filespec3

cheers,
    R.

permissions

thanks R. I am using Oracle 9i for NT on an XP. I made some progress yesterday by using the Database Configuration Assistant tool which apparently sets up the init.ora file. I was able to login as system and create a user so I believe that I am more or less up and working.

However, I have a dumb question that you might be able to answer for me if you would be so kind. I have not been able to find the answer to this by search the web and I am waiting for an Oracle book to arrive in the mail which may clarify all of my questions hopefully, but...

Since I opted not to install the demonstration Scott/Tiger database, I am trying to set up a user with the same level of permissions that Scott/Tiger would have had (then I have a script to create my class specific database). Two questions -

1) Do you know what permissions Scott/Tiger user has in Oracle or would you know of a command that would list the permissions that I could use on my schools' database to find out?

2) When granting persmissions to a user of CREATE SESSION and CREATE TABLE why I would get an error on a grant for DROP TABLE? SQL+ feels that this is an invalid privilege.

Thanks