Red face Unanswered: Finding last records

OK - I'm just dumb today!

I have a table "tblMembers" with a Member_ID (11,000 records)

I have a table "tblRevenues" where a one-to-many relationship with "tblMembers" exists.

I need a query to find the last amount all members subscribed.

I can't, for the life of me, figure this one out in an access query!

select xx.Member_ID, RevDate, RevAmount
    from tblMembers xx
    inner join tblRevenues
    on xx.Member_ID = tblRevenues.Member_ID
    where RevDate =
    ( select max(RevDate)
    from tblRevenues
    where Member_ID = xx.Member_ID )

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

Red face Thank You

Thank you, Rudy, but doesn't this just return 1 record for the selected member?
    The query I need is for all members - their last payment by date.

to be honest, i didn't test it, but i'm pretty sure it will work

it's a correlated subquery

for each row in the outer query, xx, the subquery gets the last date out of all the rows which have the same member_id as the row that the outer query is looking at, the last date in the group that the outer row belongs to by virtue of its member_id

this date is re-evaluated for every row of the outer table (that's what makes it a correlated subquery), and is used to accept or reject that particular row from the result set

so the only rows in the result set are the rows that have the last RevDate for each member_id

usually, this is one per member, but in practice, it could be more than one, as far as the syntax is concerned

real-world applications usually use a datetime datatype for RevDate, so this query will return only the last revenue per member, assuming no two revenues could be made at the same time down to the second

but if RevDate were a date datatype, not including a time, and the application allowed a member to have more than one revenue on the same day, then the query will return all rows for that last day per member

this is not a shortcoming of this particular sql syntax structure ("select the row with the highest column value in a group") but simply a remark on the effects of choosing the correct datatype for RevDate for your purposes

helps?

Thank you so much for the lead Rudy, the concept was right, but the query wasn't quite correct, however, with a bit of juggling, I made it work. In case you ever need it, here is how it should be:
    SELECT [tblRevenues].[MD_ID], [ADate], [Amount]
    FROM tblRevenues INNER JOIN tblMembers ON [tblRevenues].[MD_ID]=[tblMembers].[MD_ID]
    WHERE ADate = ( select max(ADate) from tblRevenues where MD_ID = [tblMembers].MD_ID );

Again, Many thanks for the pointer
    John

Originally posted by r937
    to be honest, i didn't test it, but i'm pretty sure it will work

it's a correlated subquery

for each row in the outer query, xx, the subquery gets the last date out of all the rows which have the same member_id as the row that the outer query is looking at, the last date in the group that the outer row belongs to by virtue of its member_id

this date is re-evaluated for every row of the outer table (that's what makes it a correlated subquery), and is used to accept or reject that particular row from the result set

so the only rows in the result set are the rows that have the last RevDate for each member_id

usually, this is one per member, but in practice, it could be more than one, as far as the syntax is concerned

real-world applications usually use a datetime datatype for RevDate, so this query will return only the last revenue per member, assuming no two revenues could be made at the same time down to the second

but if RevDate were a date datatype, not including a time, and the application allowed a member to have more than one revenue on the same day, then the query will return all rows for that last day per member

this is not a shortcoming of this particular sql syntax structure ("select the row with the highest column value in a group") but simply a remark on the effects of choosing the correct datatype for RevDate for your purposes

helps?