Unanswered: Novice user question

Running Oracle 9i for NT on XP laptop(minimal custom installed Personal edition)

Can anyone tell me how to control the start and stop of the database processes and why there are two instances of apache.exe and two instances of Java.exe running?

Is there a way to manually stop/start the listener and required Oracle services and executables? Motivation is to reduce the time required in boot up and to conserve system resources when Oracle is not in use.

Any 9i DBA's out there with helpful hints?

thanks

Cool

Under Windows Oracle processes run as threads under one process. This process is started as a service - OracleService<SID>. The same for the listener - Oracle<ORACLE HOME>TNSListener.

Go to your services and change those services from startup Automatic to Manualy, so when you reboot they will stay down.

If you like the cmd, then you can do it with:

c:>net stop OracleService<SID>

and

c:>net start OracleService<SID>

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA

Thanks

Thanks for your help. Really helpful. I forgot that XP has all the stuff that NT has like a Services interface.
    It was:
    OracleDEFAULT_HOMEAgent
    OracleDEFAULT_HOMEHTTPServer

that were launching Java and Apache and after setting all of these to start manually I recovered almost 2 mins of boot time. (Yes I timed it.)

thanks again. Love website also.