Angry Unanswered: ODBC ASE Driver v4.1 and RowsAffected / NOCOUNT query.. Help...

Hi there, just joined the forum so if I should be posting this in another area then please excuse me and do let me know where....

I have an issue concerning the ASE ODBC DriversV4.1 on a Sybase 11.9.2 / 12 dB.

When using the drivers through a connection object created in VB I am unable to obtain the RowsAffected on any tables that have Insert/Update triggers working on. I have tried setting the NOCUNT property but have realised that the Update/insert succeeds but the trigger itself does not seem to have fired for those update/inserts.

Has anybody come across this or know where I can look to resolve this... If anyone would like to look at the trigger then 'm happy to forward it on.

Any help/Advice would be very appreciated.

Kind regards,

Are you looking to return the number of affected rows ? Does sybase support @@ROWCOUNT ?

it does but...

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Are you looking to return the number of affected rows ? Does sybase support @@ROWCOUNT ?
    Hi, but the ASE V4.1 drivers do not return the rowsaffected which @@ ROWCOUNT would pass on.

[or have I completely lost the plot... would it be easier for me to send the trigger, It's been working fine but the issue I believe lies in the Drivers, but I'm having trouble finding out why]

Thanks,
    rocks

Show me the snippet of code that is connecting and retrieving the results from sybase. What sql statements are you passing - are you using a stored procedure ?

Show me the snippet of code that is connecting and retrieving the results from sybase. What sql statements are you passing - are you using a stored procedure ?
    The VB code is below [althou i don't think the issue lies in here], a copy of the trigger is also attached.

Once again for your time in looking at this.

Public Function ExecuteSQL(strSQL As String, ErrOb As ADODB.Errors, RowsAff As Long) As Boolean

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

ADOcon.Execute strSQL, RowsAff

ExecuteSQL = True

Exit Function

ErrHandler:
    Set ErrOb = ADOcon.Errors
    ExecuteSQL = False

End Function
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you been successful before using this driver and returning row affected (exactly like you are doing now) ? Have you tested creating a database/table without triggers to see if it works ?

Let me know - I might have a solution.

Have you been successful before using this driver and returning row affected (exactly like you are doing now) ? Have you tested creating a database/table without triggers to see if it works ?

Let me know - I might have a solution.
    Thanks for your reply, I've not been successful at at with getting back the RowsAff with this driver connecting to tables with triggers.
    Tables without triggers are fine, they return the Rowsaff as expected.

What have you in mind..?

Add select @@rowcount at the end of your query. In your code, create a recordset object. When you run this query, 2 recordsets will be returned - the 2nd being the value you are looking for. Move to the 2nd recordset and use the rs(0) to return the value. Let me know how it goes.

Do the following:

select * from table;select @@rowcount

I am not sure about sybase's character but try the semi-colon between the 2 statements.

Any luck? Did you try rs.nextrecordset ?

Thumbs up rnealejr

rnealjr... thanks for the info. I ran into the same problem and your solution worked fine. Thanks

PremierJP,

Happy to help.