Question Unanswered: Monitor server connection problem.

Hi,

I have an application for connecting and getting data from Monitor Server. It has been built using 11.9.2 static libraries. (Solaris 2.6)
    It works fine for Sybase 11.9.2 server, but it fails with Sybase 12.0 and 12.5.
    First it was protocol drivers problem. I found out the problem and fixed it. But now it's failing in smc_connect_ex() function. However it does not return errorcode.
    What can be the cause, can anybody help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunil Phaltankar.

Hiya sunil,

DIrectory structures gotten changed since ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12 and 12.5, maybe something that you need to have a look at.

Cheers
    Willy

Thanks Willy.

My application is built with 11.9.2 libraries. It's suppose to work on Sybase 11.9.2, 12 .0 and 12.5 versions.
    It works for all three versions of sybase dataserver and 11.9.2 version of monitor server, however, it is giving problems to connect to monitor server 12.0 & 12.5

Yes, there is definitely change in directory structure of Sybase installation for 12.0 & 12.5. But I am still not sure how it affects my application. Initial SMC calls - smc_connect_alloc() and series of smc_connect_props() goes through without giving error, and it fails at smc_connect_ex() function. Return value is just SMC_RET_FAILURE.

Can anybody please shed light on this problem.

Thanks again.
    Sunil

I have a similar problem
    My client talks to a 11.9.2 server but not to 12.0 or 12.5
    Fails w/o any error callback
    With invalid password I get a callback.

Turns out I was using the libs from 11.9.2 to compile my client.

Trying to get 12.5 libs
    cannot find libcomn.lib anywhere (12.5 client or server)
    The sample program expects it under ocs_12_5/lib

any ideas ?
    -Ganesh

Wink Re: Monitor server connection problem.

Hi Sunil,

The below few points may help.

1. Please make sure compile your program with the lastest 12.5 monitor library, smcapi32.lib. It is a must for your program work correctly with 11.9, 12.0 and 12.5. In my exprience, the other librarys should stay with 11.9.2, they are libcs.lib, libct.lib & libcomn.lib. Otherwise, you still failed to connect to even the lastest monitor library is used.

2. Please also make sure that the value of two server parameters are large enough, 'event buffers per engine' and 'max SQL text monitored'.

3. Also make sure the size of tempdb is large enough, at least 20M.

Hope these help ....

Cheers
    Kelvin