Unanswered: MDB File Size Increasing

I have a db on a network that is used by multiple users. When it is fully compacted it is only 9 to 10 mb in size. However, in a few days if I don't compact it, it can get to 80 to 90 mb's in size.

What causes this great increase? I will do some research on my own but I just wanted to know if anyone knew the answer off the top of their head.

Side note: The db is used primarily for research/viewing. Records do get entered/added but not as often as a normal data entry db.

Thanks for any insight provided.
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Hi,

MS Access database files increase their size as you work with them. The best solution for the problem would be to establish a procedure to periodically compact databases.

If you don;t want to program it, you can buy such tools from, for example, FMS

http://www.fmsinc.com/Products/Agent/index.html

HTH, Igor

I think Access 2000 database have an automatic option to compact database.

The problem is that if you create, for example, a form, you add button, code and works on it. You save it, it will be keeped in the database and qill use space. If you delete it, the space will NOT BE free, it will still use space, BUT, the form will not appear in the database. To free the space, you must Compact your database, it is also pretty simple to Compact with programmation

Example:
    Code:
    DBEngine.CompactDatabase "C:\Jeff\bd2.mdb", "C:\Test.mdb"
    It compact the database bd2.mdb to a new one named test.mdb. You cannot Compact, with this code, an opened database...

JefB

Originally posted by JefB
    I think Access 2000 database have an automatic option to compact database.

The problem is that if you create, for example, a form, you add button, code and works on it. You save it, it will be keeped in the database and qill use space. If you delete it, the space will NOT BE free, it will still use space, BUT, the form will not appear in the database. To free the space, you must Compact your database, it is also pretty simple to Compact with programmation

Example:
    Code:
    DBEngine.CompactDatabase "C:\Jeff\bd2.mdb", "C:\Test.mdb"
    It compact the database bd2.mdb to a new one named test.mdb. You cannot Compact, with this code, an opened database...

JefB
    Jeff. Plesae correct me if I am wrong but to regain the space the button that was deleted had don't you have to go to REPAIR database as well as Compact? I thought that was one thing the Repair database option in Access took care of.

Repair Database will repair any errors you might have on the database, it will not compact it, and you don't need to repair before compacting, but it can be a good idea to be sure all will go ok!

Repair database repair corrupt database that are corrupted most of the time by a "failure-writing operation" that can occurs, for example, if there is a "power shut-down" (or if you accidently Shut-down your computer while Access operates). It also verify index and objects stuff (can't be more precise on "objects stuff" )

JefB - hope it helps

JefB - hope it helps [/SIZE]
    Very much so thank you.