Unanswered: Lokwaits increasing with onstat -p command

Hi,

I am new to informix.

I have been observing that lokwaits are increasing when i use the command onstat -p.what does this mean and when could this be an issue.How do i check what is causing this lokwaits or to find out more on these lokwaits.

Is there any sql that can give more details about this lokwait.

Thanks
    Ravindra

Lockwaits is equal to the time ids has to wait to acquire a lock. Normally this is caused by table or page level locking. You could switch to row level locking...
    onstat -k will give you an overview of the current locking status.
    rws

You are probably using page-level locking - which is the default. A couple of questions are - how big are the rows you are looking at (calculate how many rows are on each page) and how ofter are you running onstat -p ? Depending on the number of rows you may want to incorporate row-level locking - but that means you will have to increase the number of locks. What about deadlocks - how many are showing ? Also, how many lokwaits are showing between time intervals - versus how many transactions for your instance ? You can reset the counters by using onstat -z. If possible, it may be helpful for you to post the onstat -p and onstat -k outputs.

To create a table with row level locking:

CREATE TABLE table_name
    {
    declarations ...
    )
    LOCK MODE ROW

or for an existing table use:

ALTER TABLE table_name LOCK MODE (ROW)