Unanswered: Backup to UNC path failing

Hi,

I have been trying to set up log shipping on a database with a backup size of ~190MB. However, I have been getting two error messages as stated below during the initial backup of the DB before it is restored on the warm standby.

1st Error
    --------------
    Windows was unable to save all of the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector\<<UNC Path>>. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

2nd Error
    -----------
    Write on '<<UNC path>>' failed, status 64. See the Sql Server eror log for more details. BACKUP database is terminating abnormally.

Backing up the database out side of the logshipping set up runs fine if I use a mapped drive, but it fails again when I use a UNC path. All the permissions are correct (I have backed up a smaller DB to the UNC path which completes successfully) so I am a little stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rich

I think this is a caching issue - check to see if you have network redirector caching enabled. The following link shows you how to disable:

link

The following is another link that might be helpful if the above information does not solve your problem:

link

Thanks for coming back so quickly. I thought that the cache could be the problem but noticed from the link you sent that it was specific to NT. I forgot to mention in my initial post that I am running on Win 2k SP2 Adv. Server boxes. Could this still be a problem with the more recent OS?

The second link you mentioned relates to a very specific record in the event log. The error I am experiencing is almost identical to that mentioned in the KB article all exceppt for the final staus code. I do not have c0000022 in my event log. Am I correct in therefore assuming that the workaround will not make any difference.

I know this is just more questions, but I do not have access to the boxes for the next couple of days and am trying to workout the best approach so as to try to reolve the problem when I get on site as quickly as possible.

Cheers

Rich