Unhappy Unanswered: Oracle 9I Install problem

We have an application that currently runs on the SQL Server 2000 platform. We want to port it to Oracle 9i on W2K for a number of clients as this is their preference. I am somewhat knowledgable in Oracle but I am just trying to get Oracle installed on a box with W2K SP3, 1 gig proc with 1.25 gig of RAM. The machine is a Compag DL320 1 U. In the universal installer, after about 47% of installing it just hangs, no error file. I finally had to kill the install and try again. This time it hangs again and I check the \\program files\oracle\inventory\logs directory and there is an err file with this 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'. Thats it. After doing some R & D on various boards and looking for recommendations, I removed to JIT compiler option on IE and stopped all IIS processes on the box, tried again and got the same error. I've rebuilt the machine twice and tried a different machinine thinking the memory may be the issue. The powers that be are getting frustrated this isn't set up yet. I know its probably something simple so hopefully somebody can give me some direction.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Oracle 9I Install problem

In Unix, the error is often caused by a small swap space. It is recommended to size it at least 400MB to twice the available RAM. Try to increase your pagesize in Win2K or check the disk size for the TEMP variable.

Originally posted by dseifried
    We have an application that currently runs on the SQL Server 2000 platform. We want to port it to Oracle 9i on W2K for a number of clients as this is their preference. I am somewhat knowledgable in Oracle but I am just trying to get Oracle installed on a box with W2K SP3, 1 gig proc with 1.25 gig of RAM. The machine is a Compag DL320 1 U. In the universal installer, after about 47% of installing it just hangs, no error file. I finally had to kill the install and try again. This time it hangs again and I check the \\program files\oracle\inventory\logs directory and there is an err file with this 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'. Thats it. After doing some R & D on various boards and looking for recommendations, I removed to JIT compiler option on IE and stopped all IIS processes on the box, tried again and got the same error. I've rebuilt the machine twice and tried a different machinine thinking the memory may be the issue. The powers that be are getting frustrated this isn't set up yet. I know its probably something simple so hopefully somebody can give me some direction.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Oracle 9I Install problem

Another suggestion, since you are rebuilding your machine every now and then, try not to apply Win2K SP3 and not to install other applications first. Stay with SP2 for the meantime and if you can just use the software only install. You can always create the database at a later time. When creating the database, if you're on 9.0.1.1, create a listener and service name. Start the listener before creating the database. Hope it helps.

Originally posted by jgbblaquera
    In Unix, the error is often caused by a small swap space. It is recommended to size it at least 400MB to twice the available RAM. Try to increase your pagesize in Win2K or check the disk size for the TEMP variable.