Unanswered: Cannot find the file *filename*.mdb

A client of mine keeps getting this error message whenever he tries to open ANY .mdb file.

After the error message, it goes on and opens the database, but many strange symptoms come about.

He insists that he used the same 'image' to install the software onto the computer, and that the computer has the same operating system as other computers at his location.

I had him uninstall-reinstall MS Office. No use.
    Operating system is windows 98 SE. MS Office 2000.
    The few computers at the location are various makes and models, no 2 matching at this point.

Any ideas?

Question Re: Cannot find the file *filename*.mdb

Did you try to uninstall office97 and then "START > RUN > e:\setup /y"?
    replacing e:\ with the cd-rom drive. I had a problem with access97 (not same version I realize but hear me out) where it wouldnt add the proper reg information into the registry and I found a page that said setup /y forces the installer to do a clean install. Maybe thats all it needs, worth a shot.

- Craig

Originally posted by perryjm
    A client of mine keeps getting this error message whenever he tries to open ANY .mdb file.

After the error message, it goes on and opens the database, but many strange symptoms come about.

He insists that he used the same 'image' to install the software onto the computer, and that the computer has the same operating system as other computers at his location.

I had him uninstall-reinstall MS Office. No use.
    Operating system is windows 98 SE. MS Office 2000.
    The few computers at the location are various makes and models, no 2 matching at this point.

Any ideas?

Make sure the default database location isn't set to a location that no longer exists. Tools->Options->General

I had a similar problem a while back when my default was set to a network drive.....
    "Doing stuff is overrated. Take Hitler for example. He did lots but don't we all wish he'd have just stayed home and gotten stoned?"