Unanswered: Invalid use of 'INSERT' within a function.

Is it possible to insert into a table from a function. I have a function that searches for a unique group id, and if the group does not exist, it inserts and returns the id. I created a procedure with the same code (except for the returns) and it operated properly, so it shouldn't be a logic issue. I cannot find any resources that say inserting from within a function is disallowed. Microsoft even does it on one of their sql server 2000 examples in msdn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arrow Re: Invalid use of 'INSERT' within a function.

You cannot INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE from tables in a FUNCTION. The examples you probably saw did so to locally defined variables of type TABLE.

You can return a value from a stored procedure to get the new ID. You can do this with an output parameter or with a RETURN in the stored procedure. To get the value of the RETURN, execute the stored procedure like this:

DECLARE @ResultCode int
    EXEC @ResultCode = uspGetMyGroup

Originally posted by saderax
    Is it possible to insert into a table from a function. I have a function that searches for a unique group id, and if the group does not exist, it inserts and returns the id. I created a procedure with the same code (except for the returns) and it operated properly, so it shouldn't be a logic issue. I cannot find any resources that say inserting from within a function is disallowed. Microsoft even does it on one of their sql server 2000 examples in msdn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    HueyStLoui