Unanswered: adding characters

Is it possible when a user enters info into a field you can add a specific character at specific intervals automatically. I'd like to setup a field to enter in dashes "-" at specific entry points but without using a specified "format" or "input mask".

Here's an example.

The user types in 3344443

The code will place a dash whenever a certain length has been reached. When the field reaches 2 characters a dash will be entered automatically, when it reaches a length of 7 another dash will enter automatically, and so on.

33-4444-3

Any ideas?

You can use any of the key events (keydown,keyup,keypress) and use the len function of the text box to determine your logic to insert your own "mask".

You should use the len of textbox.Text property
    Hm... can you just add the "-" (I think the cursor will go back to the first char again..., but I don't know... haven't try it ) Instead, you can use SendKeys.

The len function was only mentioned to determine position for the logic of the user-defined mask. How you append the masking characters is left up to the programmer - however, be aware that sendkeys is buggy.

How can we control the position of cursor on the textbox? What do you suggest as an alternative of sendkeys?

Explain what you mean by "control the position of cursor on the textbox".