Unanswered: convert filemaker

we have an old but important filemaker database saved from an outdated computer. our current pcs do not have filemaker. is there a way to convert a filemaker database to access, excel, or a microsoft works database?

Re: convert filemaker

Originally posted by hlmi
    we have an old but important filemaker database saved from an outdated computer. our current pcs do not have filemaker. is there a way to convert a filemaker database to access, excel, or a microsoft works database?
    See under MENU:

File | Export Records

and in Export dialog box choose one compatible format (tab, dbf, whatever). After you name the file you are creating in the next dialog box choose the fields you want to export, and set "Character Set" as Windows(ANSI) -> in case you have this option in your version of FM.

You should easly be able to import this from just about any sw in the world.

FileMaker to Access

Quote Originally Posted by hlmi View Post
    It is possible to automate the conversion of data, layouts, value lists and relationships to other databases like Access by using FmPro Migrator.

As part of the conversion process, repeating fields data can be converted into related records in a new table. Within FileMaker Pro, repeating fields contain an ASCII(29) character which separates each of the values so that the FileMaker database can separate the values for display and entry purposes. Other databases like Access/SQL Server etc, can't make use of these values. So that is why it is important to convert the values into related records.

David Simpson

Hi Experts,

I am facing another type of problem. If the table contains too much data then it showing an err. (i.e.- some data will be truncated .... ). How can I minimize this problem.

If anybody have any solution please let me know..

Thanks in advance.

You will only have this type of problem if you don't make the columns large enough in the destination database. I perform a calculation to determine the maximum size of data within each column of each table of the source database, and then use this info to automatically create the CREATE TABLE SQL code to handle this situation.

David Simpson
    FmPro Migrator - Migrate FileMaker Pro, Bento, Access, SQL Server Databases (supporting MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, Access, PostgreSQL, FrontBase) - .com Solutions Inc.

hi dsimpson22

Thanks for your reply. can you please tell the process or suggest any link. Actually I want to convert .fp7 to .mbf (FileMaker Pro10 to SQL Server).

And that err. is generate when I am converting FileMake to Excel.

Please let me know. I am looking for your suggestion.

Thanks.

There is a link to the PDF files providing documentation of the process here:

.com Solutions Inc. - Support - FmPro Migrator

But in your other posting, you were having some additional issues. Please send me an email via my website and I can help you further.

www.fmpromigrator.com.

David Simpson

date with electronics. They currently have filemaker pro version 5.5 and they would like to update...a way we could find a program that would convert the old contracts to the new one

Actually, if you are upgrading to a later version of FileMaker, the dates and all of the other data will be converted automatically. If you are converting to a SQL database, then FmPro Migrator will perform this conversion during the data transfer.

Hi dsimpson22

I would like to thanks for great informative information to me.