Unanswered: USER database won't backup.

I have a mainenance plan running on all my user databases. One database in particular is giving me problems. In the mainenance plan history it give me this:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Repair statement not processed. Database needs to be in single user mode.

The Activity is: Check Data and Index Linkage

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    K'Tigre

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried setting it in single user mode?

I had the same problem a couple of months ago, It occured twice and never again since then, I suppose that for that task, sql server tries to switch db into single user mode itself and in those cases some connections remained in db and sql server couldn't do so, but take it as only my deduction. martin

Originally posted by Coolberg
    Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried setting it in single user mode?
    Actually I've tried, but it won't let me. Something's preventing me from doing it. Unfortunately I really don't know SQL Server, so i don't know how to track down why.

K'Tigre

Yes, there must be exactly one connection (=you) running when you set it in single mode. Note that having the database selected (blue-coloured) in ENterprise Mgr is enough to establish a connection that disturbs when someone else tries to set it in single mode.

You can check under Current Activities in Enterprise Mgr who's connecting.

Originally posted by Coolberg
    Yes, there must be exactly one connection (=you) running when you set it in single mode. Note that having the database selected (blue-coloured) in ENterprise Mgr is enough to establish a connection that disturbs when someone else tries to set it in single mode.

You can check under Current Activities in Enterprise Mgr who's connecting.
    what is the syntax for setting single user mode in query analyzer?

Originally posted by clinel
    Q1 what is the syntax for setting single user mode in query analyzer?
    A1 You may use Alter Database or sp_DBOption (you have to take some precautions, and also set just prior to the maintnance to make sure some user connection isn't active when you change to single user):

Alter DataBase DB
    Set SINGLE_USER With RollBack Immediate

USE master
    EXEC sp_dboption DB, 'single user ', 'TRUE'

Smile Re: USER database won't backup.

Not sure if you fixed this yet but if you take off the repair (uncheck) in the integrity job that you are running - it wont error out but you need to run DBCC CHECKALLOCATION (see SQL books for syntax) to correct any integrity or index coruption problems. This checkmark causes the database to stay in readonly mode sometimes when if doesn't finish the repair.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Originally posted by ktigre
    I have a mainenance plan running on all my user databases. One database in particular is giving me problems. In the mainenance plan history it give me this:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Repair statement not processed. Database needs to be in single user mode.

The Activity is: Check Data and Index Linkage

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    K'Tigre