Question Unanswered: text index for speeding up the search.

Hi,

I'm working on a project for school, designing a Access 97 database application. The problem is that search takes too long.

I came up with the following, but i don't know how to program it.

Take all the words from the textflieds, put them in a list. take out the duplicate en give them an indexnumber. Now we can search this table and link everthing to the number.

First problem: converting a textflied into words
    Second problem: putting all words into a table.
    Third problem: remove duplicate and place indexnummers.

Who can help me or has a better solution.

plz. help.

Gerard
    Last edited by GGH; 10-02-02 at 05:19.

Re: text index for speeding up the search.

Have you used the LIKE statement to do your searches?

e.g. SELECT * FROM tbSomeTable WHERE strField LIKE "*Keyword*"

This will return all records from tbSomeTable with the word "Keyword" in the field strField. You do this for multiple keywords simply by using AND to join the conditions:

e.g. SELECT * FROM tbSomeTable WHERE strField LIKE "*Keyword1*" AND strField LIKE "*Keyword2*"

Is this any help? You need to give us more information about the structure of the table you're trying to search, what sort of information you're trying to filter on and what you're trying to get out

Your proposed solution doesn't sound very efficient - it's always better to use SQL statements where possible rather than programming an incremental search yourself.

Re: text index for speeding up the search.

Tnx, but we did this all ready

SELECT Programma.ProgrammaID, Programma.Naam AS Naam, Programma_Type.Programma_TypeID AS TypeID, Programma_Type.Naam AS Type, LEFT(Programma.Omschrijving, 100) AS Omschrijving, Programma.Roept_aan AS Roeptaan, Status.StatusID AS StatusID, Status.Naam AS Status, Project.ProjectID AS ProjectID, Project.Naam AS Project, Interface.Naam AS InterfaceNaam, Programma.Component AS Component, [Programma].[Naam] & "#" & [Programma_Type].[Naam] & "#" & [Programma].[Omschrijving] & "#" & [Programma].[Roept_aan] & "#" & [Status].[Naam] & "#" & [Project].[Naam] & "#" & [Interface].[Naam] & "#" & [Programma].[Component] AS Search
    FROM Status RIGHT JOIN (Project RIGHT JOIN ((Programma_Type RIGHT JOIN Programma ON Programma_Type.Programma_TypeID = Programma.Programma_TypeID) LEFT JOIN Interface ON Programma.ProgrammaID = Interface.ProgrammaID) ON Project.ProjectID = Programma.ProjectID) ON Status.StatusID = Programma.StatusID;

(Don't mind the dutch words).

But it's still is too slow. Any tips?