Unanswered: Question: global.asa, sessions and Dropdown menus

1) I have created a session in my global.asa file, my question is if I remove the global.asa will there be a time limit on my webpage. since A session ends if a user has not requested or refreshed a page in the ASP application for a specified period. By default, this is 20 minutes. So my thinking is if I remove my globl.asa file from the webpages it will also remove the time limit, will this work? I have already tried to increase the Session Timeout to equal (Session.Timeout=500) but nothing I try has worked so if I remove my global.asa hopefully it will no long kick people out of my database after 20 minutes. So will this work?

2) I have created a web form with drop down menu's. After the web form is save and you leave the page or even refresh the page it also resets the drop down menu. Is there a way to stop that?

I believe the server will still have a default session timeout (probably 20 mins), so removing the global.asa file won't solve this.

With the second part of your question, it all really depends on how your menus are written. It's most likely they are done using layers (or Div's). If this is the case you can control if they are visable by setting element.style.display = 'block' or 'none'; This will cause it to be displayed, but before you do this you will need to have a record of whether the menu was open or closed. This would usually be stored in a cookie (although there is no reason why you couldn't do it in a session variable).

So in short the info on whether the menu is open or closed has to be written (in the case of a cookie) every time the menu is accessed, and then checked every time the page is loaded.

You would have to do the menus all dynamically using VbScript or JavaScript exclusively. Asp would have little to do with it.

As for the timeout problem; increasing it should work, but bear in mind there IS a maximum timeout and 500 (500 mins) will not be accepted because it potentially leaves unused sessions in the server memory for long periods of time 'hogging' server resources.
    If you re-set the session timeout periodically you can keep the session alive. It should, in theory, be reset automatically when the user requests a page from the server but if they are inactive for long periods of time you will need to find a way to dynamically renew it.
    You can put a meta refresh on a page within a frame or iframe which refreshes an asp page which resets the timeout.

QUESTION

Question: How would I redo all the menu's dynamically using VbScript or JavaScript exclusively?

John316

Originally posted by WraithOfDark
    You would have to do the menus all dynamically using VbScript or JavaScript exclusively. Asp would have little to do with it.

As for the timeout problem; increasing it should work, but bear in mind there IS a maximum timeout and 500 (500 mins) will not be accepted because it potentially leaves unused sessions in the server memory for long periods of time 'hogging' server resources.
    If you re-set the session timeout periodically you can keep the session alive. It should, in theory, be reset automatically when the user requests a page from the server but if they are inactive for long periods of time you will need to find a way to dynamically renew it.
    You can put a meta refresh on a page within a frame or iframe which refreshes an asp page which resets the timeout.