Cool Unanswered: crystal to ms access migration?

Hi all...anyone ever use or hear of a migration tool that will take a crystal report (*.rpt file) and migrate it to ms access? We have hundreds of crystals and are being forced into a VERY costly upgrade that we would like to just skip if we can somehow migrate these reports to access.

-thanks in advance
    -dnix

Re: crystal to ms access migration?

I am curious as to why you aer "Migrating in the first place." What is it specifically you are trying to do. Access is a Db that has a reporting tool. And Crystal is strictly a reporting tool. Are you trying to get your Crystal reports translated into Access reports???

What versions are you using???

Re: crystal to ms access migration?

Actually, crystal has some data storage and logical elements that it hides that bring report definitions very close to being "mini-databases" on there own. Why do I want to migrate? Because! Well, really its not a question of wanting or not wanting...its the raping of an crystal reports upgrade fee versus using ms access, which we already own.

There is not a whole lot that you can do with crystal that you cant with ms access and why support (and pay) for both?
    -dn

Originally posted by dnix
    Hi all...anyone ever use or hear of a migration tool that will take a crystal report (*.rpt file) and migrate it to ms access? We have hundreds of crystals and are being forced into a VERY costly upgrade that we would like to just skip if we can somehow migrate these reports to access.

-thanks in advance
    -dnix

thanx. . didn't know that about Crystal. would make sense. I do not know of any tools and the Crystal or Access Gurus I have near me are not available as they are in meetings. Should I hear anything I will let you know however I do not believe there is a tool to do such. . . Will check on a work around though

Post Crystal Migration

Rosetta Stone .co.uk have developed a Crystal Documentation utility which is now being extended to convert Crystal to Microsoft Reporting Services. Reporting Services come free with SQL Server and is likely to be the hotest reporting product within 2 years.

The first working conversions are due in May. Only about 6--80% can be fully automated, things like charts need to be re-done. try the info email address for more information.

Donald