Unanswered: Setting up Mysql for the first time

I am setting up a message board on my home windows 2000 server with IIS. I installed PHP and got that to work and now i need to set up a mysql database. How do i go about doing that, i installed the mysql software but im stuck from there.

Do you know the MySQL requirements of the message board software? Do you need to be running MySQL-max or use InnoDB? What is the message board software? Often php applications will work with any MySQL config but you may run into problems further down the road when the database doesn't scale to your needs. It is also possible the php application won't run if you don't have the proper config.

One thing you will probably want to do is run MySQL as a service under windows. You can do this by running something like:

mysqld-max-nt --install

The mysqld binary you use will vary based on your requirements but max-nt is by my best guess the most popular. I may be wrong. You want to run this command from the directory containing the mysql binaries (i.e. the location you install MySQL). If you don't remember, just search for mysqld and you should find it.

Unhappy Mysql

I dont really know what good message boards are good out there i am fimiliar with ikonboard from www.ikonboard.com. I Downloaded mysql max and installed it. i also ran the command your wrote and installed the service. How do i create the database. or what is the next step.

thanks for all your help.

I am sorry I cannot answer your questoin about the next step. You will have to refer to the documentation for ikonboard. They probably provided a database script of some sort that will create the database, tables, etc and may even populate some seed data.