Thread: Query Tuning

Thumbs up Unanswered: Query Tuning

I have a VB application and with the help of record sets i retrieve as many rows from the SQL Server 2000 DB.

The query that is in the SP is nested and so while retrieving it took 2 secs for a very few records and so I changed the query to a simple query but with more conditions on the WHERE clause..

But now also it takes the same 2 secs and i would like it to be reduced to milliseconds..

Any ideas are most welcome...

TIA,
    Nisha

If you can cut-n-paste the SQL into Query Analyzer you can Display the Query Plan (Ctrl+L) and see what Query Plan it's using, so you can determine whether indexes would help.
    - Andy Abel

It will be better if u put the script, u can use the Profiler to see the exact duration the Sql is taking,
    Dont use Select * , better give the exact column names , and in the where condition u try to use id columns.
    -Ashok

Re: Query Tuning

Originally posted by iamnisha
    I have a VB application and with the help of record sets i retrieve as many rows from the SQL Server 2000 DB.

The query that is in the SP is nested and so while retrieving it took 2 secs for a very few records and so I changed the query to a simple query but with more conditions on the WHERE clause..

But now also it takes the same 2 secs and i would like it to be reduced to milliseconds..

Any ideas are most welcome...

TIA,
    Nisha
    Reply-

Try to use 'primary key with clustured indexs' keys reference. after the where clause.