Unanswered: Strange Behavior

Hi Everybody,

could someone explain to me the following behavior:

The database has 3 datafiles and 3 filegroups with 1 datafiles for each filegroup.

One for system tables, one for test table and one for the indexes of test table.

i have created table test (id int identity (1,1), name varchar(50) not null) stored on test table filegoup.

then i run a script to insert 6.000.000 rows, at the end the datafile for the table test has 130Mb.

after this, i have created 2 indexes, one clustered and one nonclustered stored on the filegroup for the indexes.

so, what was my surprise that the size of the datafile for the table test was reduced to 1Mb, and the size of the index file has 312Mb.

thanks u all...

Leandro.

Take a look at "Using Clustered Indexes" in sql book online. If you have access to Kalen's Inside SQL Server 2k book, take a look at chapter 8.
    --
    -oj
    http://www.rac4sql.net

A clustered index is an index built on a table where the leaf pages of the index are the data pages of the table. So infact a clustered index is index and data, where as a non-clustered index is seperate from the table. A non-clustered index's leaf pages are pointers to the data.

So when you created the clustered index on another file group, you actually moved the data over as well.
    MCDBA

thanks u all.

i´ll continue studing this.
    Oracle 9i & SQL Server 2000 - DBA
    Rio de janeiro - Brazil
    lsantos.rj@globo.com