Thread: Design Help

Design Help

I have a BOM inventory database that I need help normalizing.

Currently there are 10 parts tables.
    Each is a different category - i.e. resistors, capacitors, fuses, etc...

They should all share the normal inventory common fields:
    PartNumber
    ManufactureID
    UnitsInStock
    UnitsOnOrder
    etc...

But each table has 3-8 unique fields to the particular category.

Am I ok using having 10 tables linked in a one-to-one relationship with a primary parts table by the PartNumber?

What problems may I encounter if I use this approach?

Any better approaches would be welcome.

Thanks
    Matt

use one table for all parts and other master table that define the properties of each category

Lets say u have product table and properties table now the product table has product say 'chair' now the prpoerties table should have chair properties like its legs, arms, size etc.

whenever u add a chair in transaction table it prompt to fill that properties u defined in properties table. these properties ofcourse saved in properties transaction table

Hope i am able to convey the idea

use one table for all parts and other master table that define the properties of each category

Lets say u have product table and properties table now the product table has product say 'chair' now the prpoerties table should have chair properties like its legs, arms, size etc.

whenever u add a chair in transaction table it prompt to fill that properties u defined in properties table. these properties ofcourse saved in properties transaction table

Hope i am able to convey the idea