Unanswered: Weird: [Microsoft][ODBC_SQL_Server_Driver][TCP/IP_Sockets]General ...

Hello,

When I try to reach my sql server (ODBC in ASP), I get this error message:
    [Microsoft][ODBC_SQL_Server_Driver][TCP/IP_Sockets]General_network_error._Check_your_network_document ation.

In another logfile, the following error code appears (together with the previous one):
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionWrite (send()). (10054)

But beware: these errors only happen when the server has been idle for some time (1 a 2 minutes).

So, after a few minutes being idle, the first request fails, but the following requests do not generate this error.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Are you using lightweight pooling (fiber mode) or oledb resource pooling ?

No, fiber mode on the SQL server is disabled and I disabled connection pooling on the web server (in the ODBC properties), but it made no difference.

Have you tried the oledb driver in place of the odbc driver ?

No, I didn't. I'm afraid that I'm a bit 'old school': mainly C++, so I took ODBC as standard.

But it seems that using OLE instead of ODBC isn't too hard to do, so i'll give it a try, but i'm still very suspicious about these strange TCP/IP errors.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Re: Weird: [Microsoft][ODBC_SQL_Server_Driver][TCP/IP_Sockets]General ...

Hi jhamers. Try to check your Windows server if it disconnects idle sessions after 1-2 minutes. Also check your odbc/connection pooling setting if you are using connection pooling. HTH.

Originally posted by jhamers
    Hello,

When I try to reach my sql server (ODBC in ASP), I get this error message:
    [Microsoft][ODBC_SQL_Server_Driver][TCP/IP_Sockets]General_network_error._Check_your_network_document ation.

In another logfile, the following error code appears (together with the previous one):
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionWrite (send()). (10054)

But beware: these errors only happen when the server has been idle for some time (1 a 2 minutes).

So, after a few minutes being idle, the first request fails, but the following requests do not generate this error.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.