Arrow Unanswered: Acc02: known problems with MDEs and many users?

Hi @ everybody!

Sorry for the long title, but i haven't found a way to describe it in a shorter sentence ;-)
    And also sorry for possible mistakes in my message... maybe somebody remembers the sentence of a famous german soccer player of NY MetroStars who said: "my english is not so good, my german is better!" :-) Same for me! Maybe I can improve it by reading and writing here!

Alright.. now smalltalk is over, let's talk about my access problem:

We are making a change from Office 97 to Office XP. I've converted most of the important MDBs, but my boss wants us to try MDEs.

Collegues told me, that there were some problems and crashes in older access versions, when many users tried to work with the same MDE... and now it's my job to find out, if this problem was solved in Access 2002 or if there are still problems like this...

If they are still there: How many users can use an MDE without getting problems? Are there known ways to solve them?

I hope you can help me a little bit, thank you!!

Greetings from Heidelberg / Germany!

Hendrik

Re: Acc02: known problems with MDEs and many users?

Hello? Anybody out there? Sorry for my impatience but I really need an answer to my question as soon as possible....

And i've discovered a new problem: I can't create any new MDEs in Access 2002. I just get a message that Access couldn't create an MDE... no more informations about the error.

I've tried to convert new Access 2002 MDB-files and also former Access97-MDB-files (converted into Access 20002-Files), but both failed....

So if anybody can help me... please help me ;-)

Greetings,
    Hendrik

Before you create MDE, try to compile the the VB code and the module first. Usually "Can't create MDE" is caused by error in the VB code that cannot be fully compiled.

Originally posted by Djoko
    Before you create MDE, try to compile the the VB code and the module first. Usually "Can't create MDE" is caused by error in the VB code that cannot be fully compiled.
    Thanks for your reply, but i've already tried this.... i didn't help.

Alright, now its getting complicated, I hope that I can explain the solution we've found so that everbody can understand it:

The databases I want to convert got referrers (I hope it's the right expression) to a .mda-file. I've converted this .mda into a .mde and made new referrers in our .mdb-files to the new .mde.

Now access converts the .mdb-files into .mde-files without any problems.

Now another problem came up, but I think we can get along with it:

If we make any changes to the .mda and convert it into .mde again we have to re-compile all database-files because the vba-functions are not available any more.... We think that this is a problem with some pointers. Changes to the .mda are not made very often, so it's a bit of work, but it's ok....

Greetings,
    Hendrik