Unanswered: Upon Entering Form have Text Boxes Empty

Hello

This mysterious problem has been eluding me for days now. If you have any advice please explain in lamens terms as I am not proficient with VB.

What I am trying to achieve is when I open a form to have the text boxes in that form to be empty. Currently when I open my form the text boxes are showing the first record from my table.

What I have done in the past to get this to work is go into the properties of the text box and under the Data tab look for a data entry selection and change it to either yes or no (can't remember which). For some reason when I look at the properties in these text boxes the option is not even there.

Why is this and how can I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Renee

That is a property of the form.

Matt

Found Data Entry..and emptied text boxes..but!

You are right Matt..I figured this out a few minutes ago..but now I am posed with another problem.

Now when I enter the form the text boxes are blank..Superb!..but
    I can't look up a record...the form is now exclusively a data entry form.
    How can I have the text boxes blank upon opening the form and be able to enter new records and find records aswell??

I have a smaller database in which I can do this and have exhausted myself comparing properties from one form that works correctly to the one being stubborn..so I know that I can get both these functions to work..I just must be missing something.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I am using a tabular layout?

R

you can go to a new record in the open or load event

Private Sub Form_Load()
    DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    End Sub

or if calling form from another form
    DoCmd.OpenForm "<FormNameHere>", , , , acFormAdd

I am using the code below but have a different problem. the form opens to a new record but when I use the toolbar at the bottom of the form to cycle through previous records the data does not populate. I have checked the table and the records are in there. Any ideas???

Thanks.

Originally posted by Rockey
    you can go to a new record in the open or load event

Private Sub Form_Load()
    DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    End Sub

or if calling form from another form
    DoCmd.OpenForm "<FormNameHere>", , , , acFormAdd

I am assuming that you are talking about this code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , , acFormAdd

acFormAdd opens the form in DataEntry mode - only for adding new records. Same as [FormName].DataEntry = True. So Me.DataEntry = False would restore your ability to cycle through the records in the underlying datasource.

Matt