Unhappy Unanswered: help needed on Progress 6.2

hello,

I need help with making an ascii (or other format I can parse) dump of a Progress 6.2 database. I have hardly any knowledge of Progress and wouldn't normally even try to solve this for my client, but we can't seem to find a dba who can do this for us here. It's a version 6.2b system on SCO.
    The system needs to be migrated to another application, which I can do if I either have a ascii-like dump, or the dataformat in such a database so that I can write a parser for the data in e.g. perl.

My humble appologies for being a no-know, but I can't find another solution.

Kind regards,

M@ikel Gloudemans

Me(n)tal Enterprizes
    the Netherlands

Re: help needed on Progress 6.2

Originally posted by me(n)tal
    hello,

I need help with making an ascii (or other format I can parse) dump of a Progress 6.2 database. I have hardly any knowledge of Progress and wouldn't normally even try to solve this for my client, but we can't seem to find a dba who can do this for us here. It's a version 6.2b system on SCO.
    The system needs to be migrated to another application, which I can do if I either have a ascii-like dump, or the dataformat in such a database so that I can write a parser for the data in e.g. perl.

My humble appologies for being a no-know, but I can't find another solution.

Kind regards,

M@ikel Gloudemans

Me(n)tal Enterprizes
    the Netherlands
    Is this still a problem for you?

Talking thank you for asking

Hello there,

Luckally a found a combination of tricks that did the job.
    After viewing every option in the application, in the help function was a possibillity to run a module? (not sure the program called it that) from which i could start a dbadmin tool . I could dump files from there.

Since I had no diskspace left on the machine, i dumped them to a tty an build a cable for my laptop to catch the data (to eliminate echoes i needed to make a y cable with the term and the laptop both connected, guess the term terminated the signals or whatever)

After i had the dumps on my laptop , i perled them from comma seperated to XML following given specs from new db-system..

et voila , ca marche...

kind regards,

M@ikel Gloudemans

Me(n)tal Enterprizes

Need copy of Porgress 6.2

Is it possible to get a copy of your Progress 6.2 software, to do a dump of a 6.2 runtime version. Contacted Progress but they want some big dollars. I have a copy of version 8.2 but it won't read a 6.2 database. i know this is out of the ordinary to ask for a copy of d/b software, but i'm looking for a cheaper alternative than paying progress the big bucks.

Thanks Jerry Meadows

jerry.meadows@rsmi.com

Sorry, I don't have it anymore

Jerry,

I'm sorry to have to tell you I do not own a running copy of Progress.
    The stated problems I had with a client, who is now running his new application on windows.

One of the problems I had solving this problem was not having the software available.

to put it short,

I cannot help you,

I hope you have better luck elsewhere,

M@ikel