I am somewhat new to VB scripting in ActiveX and have this general question.

I think I understand the concepts of objects, properties, methods, etc. And I have indeed used other's code to do things like open ODBC connections, create record sets, read and update rows of tables, etc.

I am using DTS now to try and import FileSystemObject text file data into a table. From within ActiveX I am having no luck in getting the table inserted. I can read all I want, but I just can't update. However, the more I think about it, this isn't the best way to do the job.

If I get out of the ActiveX Task in which I am having trouble, and create a Transform Data Task using the Text File (Source) connection for the source and the SQL Server connectino for the target, I can accomplish exactly what I want. The DataPumpTask invoked inserts rows exactly like I need them to. The problem is that I need to run this for a set of individual text files which are only dynamically known. That is I will read a set of rows from another table, which will tell me which files by file name to load into this work table.

So ideally what i need to do is to invoke the Transform Data Task that I created in the DTS Designer from within the ActiveX Task, and process the Transform Data Task many times only changing the File Name property.

I can see how to do that by some examples in SQL Server books for using ActiveX to drive a Bulk Insert task. In the example it says to use this line to use the Bulk Insert Task object:

Set objTask = objPackage.Tasks.New("DTSBulkInsertTask")

Ok, here is my question. How does one know that "DTSBulkInsertTask" is the string used in VBScript to identify that object? And then furthermore, how am I to look up the Properties for that object so that I can assign them with VBScript code?

Obviously what i am going for here is some advice on how to find the correct identifiers for objects for use in script and VB compilable code, how to find the methods and properties associated with these objects, and ideally, where sample code exists which make use of these objects?

I know this is sort of a request for an overview of object basic, but if anybody would respond and/or care to advise, I would be very grateful.

John Trimble