Unanswered: DB2 Vrs Teradata

I am working for a company that is evaluating DB2 vers Teradata.
    Teradata is claming that they have the eaisest platform for a dba to be on. They say that there total cost of ownership is lower and that there platform performs better as a decision support database. I have seen information from both sides that go eather way. I would like to know why your group chose DB2 as well as if you demoed Teradata.
    Customer responces are invaluable to me.
    So why did you chose DB2?

Hi JDionne,
    This reply might be a little dated, but from my understanding during an evaluation I did x years ago, Terradata was the easiest and by far the fastest database machine (no pun intended) out there.
    The problem was that it was terrible at OLTP.
    It was excellent as a "read-only-find-the-data-as-fast-as-I-can-and-I-don't-care-where-it-is" engine, just don't try and update it.

DB2, in my opinion has come a long way as far as performance is concerned and is relatively easy to develop in. It all depends on how you're going to use the DBMS.
    Hope this helps some.

DB2 Rules

My team is trying to develope a data warehouse, primaraly for Decision Support. How does DB2 rate agains Teradata in that regard?
    Jim

Originally posted by db2rules
    Hi JDionne,
    This reply might be a little dated, but from my understanding during an evaluation I did x years ago, Terradata was the easiest and by far the fastest database machine (no pun intended) out there.
    The problem was that it was terrible at OLTP.
    It was excellent as a "read-only-find-the-data-as-fast-as-I-can-and-I-don't-care-where-it-is" engine, just don't try and update it.

DB2, in my opinion has come a long way as far as performance is concerned and is relatively easy to develop in. It all depends on how you're going to use the DBMS.
    Hope this helps some.

DB2 Rules

Jim,,
    sounds like it'll be read-only processing so like I said, TD used to beat everyone for performance. Sounds like you don't have DB2 currently (I couldn't tell from you original post). What are you building your warehouse from, just curious.
    If you do currently have DB2, you would have to consider the cost of a new (faster for warehouse) DBMS vs. the relatively low cost of putting your warehouse in DB2 and weigh the performance.

Right now im in SQL Server 7
    We are looking for a bigger platform and both venders are smoozing us.
    I cant tell who is telling the truth, they both cancel eachother out and both have there own examples in customers. I was hoping for a unbiased answer about why some one chose one vers the other.
    Regards
    Jim

Are there any people that use this forum that were responsable for the decision to use db2? If there are I would love to know why you chose db2 and if you use it as a data warehouse.
    Regards
    Jim